The Kano State Government has ordered civil servants in the state to stay at home pending further instructions as part of measures to curb the second wave of the coronavirus pandemic in the state.
The state also announced the imposition of a fresh ban on the activities of viewing and event centres across the state following increasing COVID-19 cases.
The fresh directives were communicated to journalists on Tuesday by the state Commissioner of Information, Malam Muhammad Garba, who said these were part of decisions at a stakeholders meeting held on Monday.
He further stated that; “workers on essential services such as the healthcare service providers, fire service, water board, teaching staff, security guards and the media are exempted from the ban.”
The commissioner reaffirmed government’s commitment to working with relevant stakeholders that included the Ulama to ensuring compliance with the COVID-19 protocols.
He also warned that security agents, who were part of the stakeholders meeting, would not hesitate to take stern measures to ensure compliance with the directive.
Daily Trust reports that schools in the state resumed activities on Monday amidst fear of another resurgence of the deadly virus which has claimed hundreds of lives in the state.
This is the second time the state would be issuing similar directives since the outbreak of the deadly virus in the state in the first quarter of 2020.
Earlier in the month, organised labour in the state had threatened a showdown with the government over deductions made in the salaries of workers and pensions of pensioners in the month of November and December, a decision the state government said was occasioned by paucity of funds as a result of the impact of COVID-19 on the economy.